Airport Code Posters, Art and Gifts for Travelers
I admit it, I'm ridiculously fascinated by airports and passing through them while traveling is something I truly look forward to. Whether it's enjoying all the amenities that Singapore's Changi Airport (SIN) offers, stopping over at tropical Honolulu (HNL) in the middle of the night while crossing the Pacific Ocean or just arriving at the international departures terminal at my local San Francisco International Airport (SFO) bound for an overseas adventure.
Airports and travel have always been major inspirations in my artwork. Over the years I've made numerous travel posters made from hand-carved blocks of linoleum and printed on archival paper. Check out my linocut process page for more details on how my prints are made.
Many of my airport code art, flight path map, and travel-themed linocut prints are now featured on tote bags, pillows, phone cases, coffee mugs and stationary in my Society6 shop. They make great gifts to your favorite traveler, flight attendant, AvGeek or airport lover. My travel prints can be found in homes and offices around the world and are available for sale on Etsy.
World Airport Code Art Print and Gifts
This airport code poster, originally printed from two linoleum blocks, features the airport codes of major cities around the globe, including Hong Kong (HKG), London's Heathrow (LHR), and New York's JFK Airport (JFK).
Airport Departure Board Linocut Print
Printed with professional ink on white acid-free paper, this 16" x 20" poster celebrates the departure boards found in international terminals around the world. I wrote about this print and airport departure boards, generally, in this blog post.
World Airport Poster and Flight Path Map
An aviation-themed linocut print showing the busiest airports around the world along with an artistic representation of flight paths. None available at this time.
California & West Coast Flight Path Map, Tote Bag and Throw Pillows
One of my bestselling prints of all-time, this linocut is made with a blend roll, which gives its characteristic color gradient across the print. Featuring airports such as Los Angeles (LAX), Seattle (SEA) and Portland (PDX). The flight path map is now offered offered on tote bags and other items like throw pillows.
United States Airport Lino Print
An 8" x 10" print highlighting the busiest airports in the Untied States.
Michigan Airport Code Art, Throw Pillow and Gifts
This Michigan design highlights the airports of Detroit (DTW), Traverse City (TVC) and Grand Rapids (GRR). Amoungst the items available are pillows and tote bags.
Airplane Window Seat Print
Made from a hand-carved linoleum block, this print is inspired by the views I've enjoyed over the years from the window seat. Now my young kids get to enjoy that same experience.
Websites, Magazines, Facebook Groups, Books and Podcasts about Airports
- Airport Codes - sometimes an airport's three-letter IATA airport code is obvious (e.g. DFW, STL) but some aren't. This website gives a little snippet on every airport code...1059 airports and counting!
- The public radio program, To the Best of our Knowledge, dedicated a whole episode to airports.
- I did a post about the best travel and airport podcasts, which included Zero To Travel, Extra Pack of Peanuts, and Dots, Lines & Destinations.
- Alain de Botton's books, A Week at the Airport and The Art of Travel.
- Here are a couple Facebook Groups for airport lovers: Airports of the World and Airline, Airport and Travel Art.
- Airport magazines include: Airports of the World, Airport World, Airport Magazine, Airports International and International Airport Review.
- AirportWebcams.net has a good directory of live airport webcams. Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) and Vienna International Airport (VIE) are particularly good.
- Flightradar24 is a cool website that tracks over 150,000 daily flights on an interactive map.